If a big slab of meaty ribs is cooking in the woods, and nobody can smell them, are they really there?
It has been a week of good news/bad news in the family summer weight-loss challenge.
- The good news is… I’ve been faithful to my diet all week.
The bad news is… that’s because I’ve had a rotten cold.
The good news is…lacking a sense of smell or taste, I haven’t wanted to eat much.
The bad news is … I risked death by food poisoning every time I ate something since I couldn’t smell if it had gone bad.
The good news is…food poisoning would be a wonderful jump-start to the diet.
The bad news is…that kind of weight loss comes back pretty quickly once they hook you up to the IVs.
- The good news is…sister-in-law Lisa spent a week partying in Chicago, thereby derailing her diet for sure.
The bad news is…she sent pictures of herself going on a 4-hour bike ride there.
The good news is…the bike rental shop was next door to Gino’s. They were running a 2-for-1 special on Appletinis with purchase of deep-dish pizza.
- The bad news is…sister Terry has been vigilant in going swimming every day.
The good news is…the pool has one of those swim-up Tiki bars so she can get a daiquiri after every lap.
- The bad news is…sister Mary Kay reported a 2 pound weight gain last week. Hang in there, MK. I believe in you. Keep it up!
The good news is…sister Mary Kay reported a 2 pound weight gain last week. Hang in there, MK. I believe in you. Keep it up!
- The good news is…sister Judy finally bought a scale.
The bad news is…it shows she lost 2 pounds.
- The bad news is…the stress of preparing for her son’s graduation party has kept sister Carolyn from eating much.
The good news is…the party this weekend is sure to feature lots of yummy foods to tempt everyone.
The bad news is…she may be too busy with hostess duties to eat.
The good news is…she’ll end up taking 8 pounds of leftover potato salad and half of a table-sized chocolate sheet cake home with her.
- The bad news is…sister Lib also had a rotten cold all week, so probably lost weight.
The good news is…no good news here. She lost weight and feels miserable. I may be in it to win it, but I’m not a sadist.
- The good news is…Mom has been playing it pretty close to the vest, which might mean she was struggling with temptation this week.
The bad news is…Mom has been playing it close to the vest, which might mean she is hiding a big weight loss, lulling us all into a false sense of security. My Mom is a saint walking among us, but she can also be pretty devious.
I haven’t darkened the doorway at the Y at all this week, lacking the basic ability to breath without looking like an extra from Deliverance (what my sister Carolyn eloquently refers to as a toothless mouth-breather.)
So there you have it. Until next week, bon dietito!